I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, October 12, 2013

That's What It's All About

This week I'll be using the Tarot of the Masters created and published by James Ricklef. The card drawn for today is the Wheel of Fortune:
You do the hokey pokey and you turn it all around,
That's what it's all about!
The dancing muses reminded me of the children's song, "Hokey Pokey." The kids stand in a circle and stick a different body part (arm, foot, backside, whole self) in the center of the circle as each round of the song is sung. Can you imagine some child in the middle of the song crying out, "But I don't want to change to my left hand! I'm right-handed, and I want to keep using that one!" Of course it would seem ridiculous. But in life, change is immutable, and we often complain of the unfairness of it all. We are constantly challenged to let go of some things and embrace others. Some of these changes might be welcome (the end of an illness, for instance), but adapting to some turnarounds may be incredibly hard. Perhaps developing equanimity to deal with the ups and downs of life is what it's really all about.

The oracle I'll be using this week is a transformation deck called the Key to the Kingdom. It was created by Tony Meeuwissen and published by Running Press. This morning's card is the "King of Clubs:"
This is the key of the kingdom.
In that kingdom there is a city.
In that city there is a town.
In that town there is a street.
In that street there is a lane.
In that lane there is a yard.
In that yard there is a house.
In that house there is a room.
In that room there is a bed.
On that bed there is a basket.
In that basket there are some flowers.
Flowers in a basket,
Basket on the bed,
Bed in the room,
Room in the house,
House in the yard,
Yard in the lane,
Lane in the street,
Street in the town,
Town in the city,
City in the kingdom.
Of that kingdom this is the key.
The nursery rhyme for this card reminds me of layers of understanding. Just when I think I've grasped the key, I find more unanswered questions. The actual treasure is in the search itself. Life might hand out certificates for knowledge in certain areas, but it never gives out diplomas. I attend an endless series of classes while I'm on this earth.

5 comments:

  1. We are a students for life. Equanimity; I like that word. It reminds me of Temperance. The older I get the more balanced I seem to become. Perhaps Temperance is one of the certificates which we are handed out :)
    Ps Hokey pokey LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about you, but I could would love a break from classes (recess and time to play!) right about now. :)

      Delete
    2. Lets play hooky together!!!
      :D

      Delete
    3. I'll meet you at the swing-sets! :D

      Delete