I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Who's Calling the Shots?

From the Tarot of the Masters, the High Priestess:
My first thought when I saw this image was, "Is she pulling taffy?" While I do advocate formal sitting meditation, I have found repetitive tasks can work too. Whether pulling weeds, coloring a sketch or walking, I can dive below my normal thought processes to a place of calm. This inner resource allows me to find answers or receive direction without interference of my emotions or prejudiced opinions. It moves me past the veil of the High Priestess - past the ego which runs around like Chicken Little yelling "The sky is falling." This resource enables me to intuitively know how to handle situations yet gives me the responsibility of using this knowledge in concrete ways.

From the Key to the Kingdom comes the "Six of Hearts:"
let me be your vacuum cleaner
breathing in your dust
let me be your ford cortina 
i will never rust
if you like your coffee hot
let me be your coffee pot
you call the shots
i wanna be yours
I remember these candy hearts from Valentine's Day; they were hard as rocks and tasted awful, but we loved them for the messages printed on them. The rhyme for this card, however, made me choke on my coffee. Okay, I get this fellow is probably just trying to express how much he loves someone, but does he really want someone else to call all the shots? I think not. I am reminded by this card that no matter how clear the message inside my head is, I need to make doubly sure when I say it out loud those who hear it, hear it correctly. I'm not volunteering to breathe in anyone's dust!

4 comments:

  1. This rhyme seems to me a bit to submissive :)
    I just have decided to take up meditating again and it will be a good idea to vary them.
    Coloring is one way for me to zone out. I also like to meditate with my prayerbeads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sickeningly submissive! Ack!
      I like using mala (prayer) beads for mantra meditation too. I used to keep some in my car or pocketbook when I had to wait at the bus stop for the school bus.

      Delete
  2. Hi Bodhi
    Just read that you can't get to the Aeclectic Forum pages. Can you get to them via the link on my blog? Just a thought/strategy suggestion.
    Elendil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you, I tried that when I went to check out your blog this morning. :) I like the decks you've been using lately, by the way! My next step is to go into my antivirus program and make sure the forum is not being blocked (though I've had the program for quite a while and it's never blocked it before). Fingers crossed..

      Delete