I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Applying Perfume

From the Tyldwick Tarot, the Nine of Cups:
A variety of nine decanters of perfume sit on a dresser. Each one is filled with a different fragrance - one may be citrusy and make us feel energized, one may be spicy and exotic and make us feel sexy, while another may be a light, calming aroma. Smell is connected to the "emotion center" of our brains, so each smell is likely to bring a particular memory or feeling with it. Leg one of our holiday activity starts today with cooking in preparation for the meal tomorrow then later celebrations with my 93 yr. old mother-in-law and my grandsons. It will be a hectic day, which I partly dread and partly look forward to enjoying. Yet the Nine of Cups reminds me that I have a choice in what fragrance I apply; I can choose satisfaction and contentment or one of those awful, overpowering scents. It's not all about just making a wish...

From the Antiquarian Lenormand comes the "Moon:"
One meaning the Moon card is associated with is our emotions. The partial eclipse (shown here) and phases of the moon indicate change and cycles. Just as the scent of applied perfume gradually loses its strength, the Moon suggests that my mood is not fixed in concrete. What I will try to remember as I navigate through today and tomorrow is avoid expectations and take each moment as it comes. If I have "one of those moments," all I need to do is pause, take a deep breath and let it fade. Then I won't be so distracted and overpowered by one emotion that I miss all the enjoyment.

2 comments:

  1. A sheer emotion doesn't last much longer then a few moments, its the thoughts we attach to it that makes it stick. Thank you for the sound advice to stay in the moment, don't expect too much and keep breathing. We will survive and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen - now playing Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" in my head :D

      Delete