I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Grievances or Gratitude

From the Touchstone Tarot, the Hanged Man:
The man in this image is taken from a painting done of St. Sebastian by Tiziano. Sebastian was a captain of the group of bodyguards used by the Roman Emperors. When it was discovered he was a Christian, he was tied to a tree and shot with arrows. Although left for dead, a widow nursed him back to health. Unfortunately, Sebastian later confronted the Emperor about his treatment of Christians and was clubbed to death. I truly understand Sebastian's desire to change another person's ideas, attitude or actions. But there are just some things over which I have absolutely no control; my only option is to surrender to reality rather than fight it.

From the Oracle of the Grail Code comes "Gratitude:"
What do people normally do when they feel powerless in a situation? Some feed on their anger and imagine scenarios when they will get their revenge. Others choose the role of a victim, and tell their pitiful story over and over to whomever will listen. But this card gives me a third option: gratitude. While I'm in a holding pattern, I can count my blessings instead of listing all my grievances. My life might be far from perfect, but I'm sure there are many people who would swap their lives for mine in a second. And gratitude has a way of putting things in a new perspective, which is exactly what the Hanged Man would like for me to see.

13 comments:

  1. Hi thesycamoretree!!!! What a lovely post!!!! Your attitude is a model to take the same path when you say:"...I can count my blessings instead of listing all my grievances". It's a very positive message for all of us. Thank you! Muchas Estrellas!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Las Magas! Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and for your kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always read your blog and I follow it. I like it very much, and your reflections are deep and helpful to me. Sometimes I have no enough time to comment everyday in all the blogs I like and follow, but I read it always!!! :). By the way, I would like to suscribe by email to your updated posts, is that possible? Thanks to you and Muchas Estrellas!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Las Magas, you make me blush! :) I added an option to subscribe by email at the bottom of the page (you have to scroll to the end).

      Delete
    3. Ah!!!! Ok! Yes I'm very sorry,you are right I am a bit distracted!!!! Sorry again! Today I have hundreds of things in my mind!! :) Thank you and Muchas Estrellas!!!!!

      Delete
  3. What do people normally do when they feel powerless in a situation?

    Feed them. Think of all the uneasy times we've had company...what do we do? :)

    My pictish have arrived. They are airing in the garage. I forgot about that part of her work. I keep stepping out and turning them over...hurry hurry little picts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Feed them." - absolutely. :) So happy they arrived! I just sent you a pdf of the booklet for them.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sycamore, This was by all means I day I shouldn't forget to count my blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too much to do , too many stressful things on my mind, and to many arguments with my youngest daughter. As with you all those things come first and there was no time left for myself.
    I am happy to say everything has settled down but now I am too tired/ empty to do something nice. So I am going to watch a movie or read up on some blogs and hope tomorrow will be better
    Thank you for asking
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly me, watching a movie and reading blogs are nice things to do, I really meant more active pursuits.

      Delete
  6. A really thought provoking post. It's hard to see the good stuff sometimes because we take it for granted. Might spend a little time thinking about the amount of wonderful things I have in my life and which I should appreciate more. I always get so caught up in what is wrong, rather than those things which are right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why we humans are so good at overlooking all the hours of good in our day, but manage to take 15 minutes of frustration and stretch it into a whole day! :D I am trying my best to catch myself when I start doing this - a bit of humor definitely helps though.

      Delete