I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Ice packs and Bandaids

From the Tyldwick Tarot, the Tower:
Uh-oh, it's that card. Behind the cracked glass is a picture of the Tower of Babel - an attempt by men to reach heaven. Of course it was just an ego thing rather than true devotion, so of course things didn't work out too well. Along the outside frame is a collection of masks, a symbol of the personalities I hide behind to keep others from seeing my true self. What's in my collection? There's the good daughter/DIL, the good wife, the good mother, the good friend. Notice a theme here? I somehow think I have to be this perfect incarnation in all my roles, yet I will never reach those expectations. And if I keep trying to do so, that fall is going to result in a mighty big lump on my head.

From the Antiquarian Lenormand comes the "Whip:"
Do you remember Silas, the Opus Dei zealot in the Da Vinci Code who would scourge himself? That is what this card brings to mind, especially with the blood spatters. I grew up hearing things like, "Don't just do your best, be the best" and "No matter what, don't be a quitter." I don't need someone else to whip me into line, I can do that very well all on my own. Unfortunately those survival tactics I needed in childhood followed me into adulthood, and they don't serve me well anymore. I need to relax those standards (which weren't really mine to begin with) and be the person I'm comfortable with. Now where are the ice pack and box of bandaids...

6 comments:

  1. Being the good girl is not a sin and you certainly aren't alone. Think how cold the world would be without the good girls...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's not being good that's the problem, but whose standards I'm using to define good. :)

      Delete
  2. Seems to me you already know what you need to do. These cards are just a reminder. And Sharyn is right, nothing wrong in being a good girl. Just be your own true self good girl. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I like using the cards - they are very good reminders!

      Delete
  3. I sometimes wonder how "good" I really am. I strife to better myself, but also to be more genuine and honest about how I really feel and who I really am. No play and pretend anymore: And please no more guilt; no more! Lets burn the whips and and built a pedestal for ourselves to celebrate the real us!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy without the pedestal if I could just get rid of those guilt-inducing whips!

      Delete