I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

In the Spirit of the Season

From the Tyldwick Tarot, the Moon:
The lobster (or crawfish) draws my eye in this card, and I am reminded of its hard exoskeleton. We humans are similar in that most of us prefer to hide our soft, vulnerable side with a tough exterior. The moon is reflected in a mirror, which represents another reality - the unconscious. As I will be tossed together with a large family group today, the Moon reminds me that what is going on within may not be shown on the outside. Things may be very different than how they appear. A sullen face or grimace may not have anything to do with me; perhaps the person has worries I'm unaware of or has the beginning of a migraine. In the spirit of the season, it may be wise to make the charitable assumption and not take things personally.

From the Antiquarian Lenormand comes the "Cross:"
I love that Maree used a Red Cross nurse to illustrate this card. Instead of suggesting a sacrifice born of resentful obligation or a self-centered victim, it depicts a sacrifice motivated by compassion. It encourages me to push my ego aside and do what is right because of my love for others, not because I want a gold star by my name. So as the discussion topics turn toward politics or religions at the dinner table, I can keep my opinions to myself instead of demanding the right to air my point of view. Why mess up a lovely meal that all of us worked so hard to put together? It's really not that important.

9 comments:

  1. No, it really isn't important. Hoping your family dinner and activities are enjoyable. Go with the flow ... happy happy holidays to you and your family. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! Hope you and your loved ones had a wonderful holiday as well!

      Delete
  2. One down, one to go. The three of us had a lovely day.The part when we were the four of us: not so lovely. I tried to act if everything was fine. I succeeded, but I wish I could be more like that nurse and put my ego in the freeze until January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (((Ellen))) Hang in there; I find I can tolerate most anything if I know I will be there for a limited time and not forever.

      Delete
  3. Hope it wasn't too hard keeping your thoughts under wraps, and that you managed not to take things personally, either. Definitely good resolutions for tricky family situations. My DH recently told his stepdad he thinks he's a racist bigot. True, but not exactly politic, nor does it make for smooth family relations :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly my situation! There is a family member who makes these awful, jaw-dropping comments. I try not to say a thing because no matter what I say, it just adds more fuel to the fire!

      Delete
    2. Well, my DH felt really relieved to have finally said something, after tolerating this stuff for more than 35 years. However, we haven't seen the guy since, so we'll have to see just how awkward it is… :D

      Delete
    3. The real burr under my saddle with these types is they think their opinions are facts!

      Delete
    4. I'm hardly even sure about the facts I believe in, yet some people seem to have this absolute certainty. It's kind of scary :o

      Delete