I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, December 14, 2013

It Is What It Is

This week I'll be using the Victorian Romantic Tarot, created by Karen Mahony and Alex Ukolov and published by Magic Realist Press. Today's card is the Star:
What brings you healing and makes you feel whole? How do you maintain hope and optimism? Where do you find peace and serenity? The Star incorporates all these things, but like the lotus flowers in the image, I don't think they spring up from thin air. Here's my list (I hope you'll share yours too):
~ Being outside, taking walks.
~ Art and music (making it myself or enjoying the work of someone else).
~ Spiritual practices such as meditation and contemplative reading.
~ Talking and laughing with friends and family.

The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the Flowers' Messages, created by Annie Marquier (Author) and Véronique Dumont (Illustrator) and published by Éditions Universelles du Verseau. This morning's card is "Hollyhock:"
The author writes that Hollyhock "brings the healing of grief and sorrow from the past" and indicates a need to move forward. At first I couldn't make a connection with grief, until I realized how much of my life didn't happen as planned (Does anyone's?). No matter how many candles I burn for the regrets of my past or how much time I waste thinking about what I could have done differently, nothing will ever change history. It is what it is; my best bet is to do the things I listed above and stay in the present moment as much as possible.

7 comments:

  1. To stay away from guilt and regret and give my self a sense of healing peace these are the things I do:
    drawing (art), reading fiction, listen to music, take long showers, be with my family, play with my tarotcards, meditate.
    We are on the same wave length again today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot how much joy and peace I find in reading until you mentioned it. I read a lot of nonfiction, but haven't read any fiction in quite a while. Perhaps it is time to visit the library over the holidays!

      Delete
    2. I love it when a story captivates me

      Delete
    3. I picked up a novel today. Haven't started reading it yet, but I do love getting lost in a good book :) Singing and chanting definitely go on my list, too. Walking, yoga, and exercising more generally. And the cards, be they oracle, lenormand or tarot. Cuddling my loved ones - a good hug is hard to beat for improving my mood :)

      Delete
    4. Hugs definitely rate! I still need to add chanting / kirtan back to my practice...

      Delete
  2. Great list. Love walking but hard to do this time of year so exercise inside. A book fell into my lap yesterday so I do believe I am to read it. Am going to listen to some music tonight and his music always brings joy and a smile. That is; if I can get there since it has been heavily snowing all day and the band is coming from out of town and they need to get here as well. Of course the evening will be a success. The Star says so!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to enjoy the band - it sounds like fun!

      Delete