I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Life Sometimes Sucks

From the Victorian Romantic Tarot, the Three of Swords:
The bundle at the woman's feet and the rider in the background suggest her dreams of riding off into the sunset with her lover just got dashed. Her hamster wheel of thoughts endlessly spins one question after another: "What did I do wrong? How could he/she hurt me like this? Will I ever get past the pain and emptiness I feel?" No matter if the relationship was a group, a friend or a lover, such a betrayal is never easy. But the dog is a gentle reminder that her life is not over; there are still people who care about her. She has a decision - either she can become bitter over the experience or open her heart wider, acknowledging that others have felt just as she does now. I bet I know which choice her loyal canine companion is hoping for.

The card from the Flowers' Messages today is "Hosta:"
The message of this flower is one of hope (these cards mirror yesterday's draw but with the tarot and oracle reversed). It's hard to feel that "the sun will come out tomorrow" when constant waves of hurt and grief wash over you. There is the feeling that the world should stop and drop everything in acknowledgment, but it just keeps moving on. I've buried too many friends and relatives and had my heart broken numerous times to not realize that time does change things. It doesn't mean I won't miss the relationship or the person, but the razor that cut so deep before will eventually begin to lose its sharp edge.

4 comments:

  1. I have had my share of loss and grief too. For me the razor cuts a deep as ever, but in time I learn to live with the wounds faster. With me all kinds of grief are tight to one another and if a new cut is made is seems if they are pulled out all together at once. I am still trying to be open for new friendships but I find it gets more difficult because I think I fear the eventual loss deeply

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think that is a deeper issue, whether we choose to be vulnerable again or not. But perhaps the love and happiness is greater than the pain of loss...

      Delete
    2. They say grief is the downside of love
      I am happy to say nowadays my focus is on love instead of sadness, But it isn't always easy, especially this time of year

      Delete
    3. I agree - the holidays are tough. (((Ellen)))

      Delete