I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pat Your Head, Rub Your Tummy

From the Victorian Romantic Tarot, the Moon:
The hand over the head of this woman reminded me of the trick of patting your head while rubbing your stomach (or twirling your right foot in a clockwise direction while drawing a number six in the air with your finger). Our brains are magnificent organs, but they also have little "quirks." They are keepers of memories, some which have been hidden away in dark, forgotten closets. Real life can trigger our brain to make tiny cracks in our unconscious, and things seep out. It can be an emotional, confusing experience, yet I must remind myself this is only the ghost of the past and isn't happening in the present. However it may signal a need for me to look at my past to figure out why I'm reacting and feeling the way I am now.

From the Flowers' Messages comes the card "Alstroemerica" or Peruvian Lily:
This flower is given the keyword "goodwill," a term I define as being concerned with the welfare of all others, not just a select few. When I am consumed with fear or self-pity, I can button myself in a tiny pocket with no room but my self-centered concerns. The Peruvian lily reminds me that the key to feeling better is reaching out to help others, even if it is only in some small way. What benefits them will also benefit me as well.

2 comments:

  1. Yes it is strange how the past can catch up with us so unexpectedly; a sound, a smell, It could be anything. An through the suddenness we become vulnerable. The only thing we can do is breath and let it pass so we can carry on with our present life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - smells especially can take me back to the past.

      Delete