I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Perils of Progress

This week I'll be using the Thoth Tarot, designed by Aleister Crowley and illustrated by Lady Frieda Harris; it was published by U.S. Games. Today's draw is the Eight of Wands:
These wands, that are titled "Swiftness," look so different from the others in their suit I almost didn't recognize them. They are like bolts of lightning, shooting outward in all direction. They sit atop an octahedron which overlays a square. The energy here suggests that there will be quick movement from the two-dimensional to the three-dimensional, or in other words, ideas and goals are about to get grounded in reality. The rainbow arc above suggests that this will be a favorable event, a progression I should welcome.

The other deck I'll be using this week is the Vertical Oracle, created by Antero Alli with images by Sylvie Pickering; it was published by Vertical Pool. This morning's card is "Chapel Perilous:"
This disturbing and chaotic card is described as "the dangers of self-delusion" and implores that I make sure I see the difference between reality and illusion. As the creator says, "eat the meal not the menu." To be honest, when change happens in my life (especially quickly), I can turn into Chicken Little and imagine the sky to be falling. Panic can make emotions appear logical, even when there is no evidence to back them up. So if I start down that perilous road, I'll have to breathe deeply, pull out my detective hat, and search for facts.

4 comments:

  1. I've bought myself a Thoth deck a few weeks ago and I can't seems to get started with it. It just doesn't do it for me right now.
    I can relate the little chicken feeling. Panic and anxiety can be so overwhelming. It is good to have an anchor to the reality and our breath is always with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only book that helped me with the Thoth is Hajo Banzhaf's "The Crowley Tarot: the Handbook to the Cards." All the others either left me scratching my head or were full of too much irrelevant (for my purposes) information.
      And yes, the breath is a wonderful anchor!

      Delete
  2. It's so funny you pulled this deck out because guess what I got out this morning? Thoth Tarot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thoth is the perfect deck when I need to "fast" - not in an ascetic way, but like when I've overindulged and need to simplify. There's something about it that just cuts away the excess and leaves things clean and clear. Looking forward to your posts with it!

      Delete