I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Tortoise on the Half-Shell

From the Thoth Tarot, the Princess (Page) of Cups:
The Princess of Cups is elementally Earth of Water. Her emotions (and the emotions of others) pull her along with the force of a rip tide. But her shell-like cup holds a tortoise, an animal that lives on solid ground. She knows that emotions can be channeled toward good; they may be what drive people to implement beneficial programs and policies. For instance, MADD was founded in 1980 in California by Candice Lightner after her 13-year-old daughter was killed by a drunk driver. And Donna Norris was the push needed to create the Amber Alert system after the abduction and murder of her 9-year-old daughter Amber Hagerman in 1996. I am encouraged by this Princess to use my emotions to spur me toward healing and helpfulness rather than burying myself in anger, fear or grief.

From the Vertical Oracle comes "Fear:"

The wall of fire and the bionic arm reaching through it seems like something out of an old horror flick or a glimpse into someone's nightmare. Fear is an emotional response to a perceived threat (real or not). The author advises: "Imposter fears may actually do more harm than real fears if they close your mind and immobilize your will." So basically, I can hide and shiver inside my tortoise shell, or I can let my fear motivate me to do something positive and constructive.

4 comments:

  1. All the very best to you and yours in the new year my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have paid your dues last year; you should be winning the lottery in health and happiness in 2014!

      Delete
  2. That is a very difficult choice for me since I am a tortoise by nature. Another challenge for the coming year: transforming fear in a more active energy'so flight become fight
    I wish you and you loved ones the very best for the coming year
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May you and your loved ones find peace and much happiness in the new year, Ellen!

      Delete