I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Cleaning Out the Basement

From the Rohrig Tarot, the Moon; from the Master Tarot, "The Swordsman:"
          This woman has a serious case of moon-shine. It could be a good thing if it enables her to access those deeply hidden memory files. The past could show what is behind many of her behavior patterns and habits, many of which aren't very beneficial. But just as the moon controls the tides, these memories can trigger a strong emotional reaction. If she can stay grounded in reality - not frightened into thinking the past is happening in the present - she can make great strides in moving forward.
          The Swordsman parable is found in the Gospel of Thomas and tells of a man who wanted to murder a very powerful man. He drove his sword into the wall to see if he would be strong enough to kill him. After successfully doing so, he went out and assassinated the man. The authors suggest the powerful man is the ego, and the only way to overcome it is with the sword of impartial awareness. This part particularly caught my eye as it paralleled the Moon: "We start then separating ourselves from our habitual patterns, from our mechanical and automatic reactions... dropping them right there and then, because these things are not me." The ego is only concerned with itself. If I want to clean out my basement, I'm going to have to get past it first.

4 comments:

  1. I think seeing the ego with the eyes of Self is the most difficult thing there is. Someone told me once it could be helpful to step into the role of an observer or a witness of your life. Taking a few steps back from what is happening or what you are thinking sometimes helps a lot. Aaargh I wish it was as easy as it is to write it down!! :D
    To meditate more often will surely help:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; I think meditation can be very helpful in allowing us to witness our thoughts and emotions instead of swimming in them. Learning how to be an impartial observer can make a big difference. :)

      Delete
  2. Uncle Fester wears a bee keepers hat to ward off too much moon-shine.
    My mind is a bottomless pit of frankly, useless information.

    ReplyDelete