I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Fight for Right

From the Motherpeace Tarot, the Magician; from the Toltec Oracle, "Witsilopochtli:"
          This particular Magician is actively using all four tools - the intellect, emotions, ambitions and physical resources. She wears the skin of a predator, yet she stares at a spiritual symbol (sphinx). She is focused on what she wants to create, but the sphinx holds her in check so that her will is not used to harm or take advantage of another. Her hunt is likely to be successful.
          Witsilopochtli is literally the "left-handed hummingbird" who also happens to be the Toltec god of war. Now a hummingbird seems like an awfully strange totem to choose for war, because it is so tiny. Although it is so small, it was chosen because it has the largest heart of all the birds. For the Toltecs, the right side referred to the physical and rational part of humans, while the left side symbolized the mysterious and spiritual aspect. So like the leopard-clad shaman, Witsilopochtli has plenty of fire and power, but it is employed by a spiritual warrior rather than a self-seeker. The noble fight for right is an internal rather external one.

6 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed the Motherpeace this week, normally I don't. Minds are weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy it when I can overlook its "preachiness." :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Sharyn. I've never quite liked this deck but your posts has made it more accessible for me.
    Maybe every Magician should have a spiritual guardian to keep him in check

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've drawn this card before from this deck, but never thought about why she was focused on the sphinx until today. :)

      Delete
  3. Ha ha, I'm glad it's not just me that has issues with the Motherpeace, given how seminal it is! Love the reminder that being a warrior is about having heart, rather than just about violence :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those are the only kind of "fights" worth having! :)

      Delete