I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, January 30, 2015

It's All Fun and Games...

From the Rohrig Tarot, the Devil; from the Master Tarot, "Prayer:"
          Yea, it's all fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out by one of those waxed eyebrows.  I think most people like to occasionally take their "bad" side out for a spin on a Harley-Davidson without a helmet. Pushing our normal boundary limits can be a thrilling way to deal with the stress of day-to-day life. But in that wide-open state, blowing down the highway at 100 mph, there is a line that I can cross. That line is called insanity - when I am trying so desperately to change the way I feel, I don't care about the consequences.
          I was listening to an online retreat with Phakchock Rinpoche in which he explained the reason why Buddhists do prostrations (a physical form of prayer). He said it was a reminder to reduce the ego and pride. Buddhist chants and prayers aren't directed toward an external force. The object is awaken our own inner capacities of compassion, courage and wisdom and to change our egoistic nature. Such prayer transforms my thoughts, words and deeds; it inspires me to open wide my heart and mind. The Devil and Prayer remind me that when I cross over into insanity, I am looking for an outside fix for an inside problem. The problem is within, and that's the only place I'll find a lasting solution.

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post Bev. Today I needed to be reminded of the power of prayer. For me the external Force is the same as the internal one. ( Mostly fast asleep in my case :))
    I have skipped meditating (and praying) a lot this month for no particularly reason. Just did. So I think you can guess what i am going to do now....
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen. :) It was a nudge for me to stop looking on the outside for something to make me feel better on the inside.

      Delete