I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Paging Dr. Temperance Brennan

From the Motherpeace Tarot, the Priestess (Queen) of Swords; from the Toltec Oracle, "Osomatl:"
          The Queen/Priestess of Swords works in a stark environment; she believes the fastest way to clarity and truth is to see life in its stripped-down form. Like her husband, she uses a wide angle lens to view situations. Her snowy owl is a symbol of her objectivity. She's no sweet, young thing - she's a veteran of life - and no one is likely to emotionally manipulate her or take advantage of her in any way. Her discernment and intellect make her a solver of problems and quite the strategist, but warm and fuzzy she is not.
          Osomatl is the Monkey, representing curiosity and a desire for wisdom - "just and instant, just a jump" between ignorance and knowledge. Sanchez explains that the Toltecs did not believe in passive learning, allowing a teacher to pour information into a mind. While teachers might guide, the student was expected to learn through experience and to seek out wisdom themselves. The Queen and Osomatl suggest that reading or listening to the thoughts and opinions of others may not be the best way for me to learn. Their backgrounds and past could be influencing their present ideas, which may not be relevant. I may be guided by what is true for them, but it is important that I trust the empirical evidence I gather myself.

2 comments:

  1. I am a firm believer of learning by experience. No book or person can teach you what life can. They can put you in the right direction but you have to make the journey by yourself
    Like this queen we are in our core alone and all one
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I am too much like this Queen - I like to test things out for myself!

      Delete