I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Use: (verb) to employ, to put into service.

From the Via Tarot, the Fool; from the Nature's Pharmacy Deck, "Parsley:"
          Spirit becomes matter as the Fool enters the material world. Seeing (as the authors describe it) the "sheer joy of existence" expressed on his face, makes me think of Joseph Campbell's quote, "Follow your bliss, and doors will open for you that you never knew existed." But with a dog about to sink its teeth into his bum, I think of Sarah Ban Breathnach's words, "Always remember, it’s simply not an adventure worth telling if there aren't any dragons." And therein lies the human conundrum - we want fun and excitement, but we also want safety and security. But this Fool has spiritual tools aplenty (though he may not be aware of them yet). The lion and ouroboros represent a continuous supply of inner strength. The caduceus (a gift of goodwill from Apollo to Hermes) symbolizes the friendships that will nurture and sustain him. The flower buds (with eyes on them) suggest passion and vision, yet they are also a reminder that this life comes with an expiration date.
          Petroselinium crispum, or common parsley, was an herb used by the Romans during banquets. They thought if it was worn on the head, it would prevent intoxication. Today I often see sprigs of it decorating the plates of a main dinner dish at restaurants. Most people tend to view it as a colorful garnish, but if chewed, this herb will help with bad breath from food odors such as garlic. Both these cards encourage me to be aware of the gifts and tools I have for navigating this life, but more importantly to use them.

6 comments:

  1. Whenever I see the Fool, I feel that sparkling feeling of new opportunities and starting over.
    This post reminds me of the spiritual toolbox you mentioned before. I've made a list then what would be in mine. Maybe, revisiting this list, I could add one or two things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose each morning or each moment is a new opportunity in a way; it's just sometimes hard to remember that! :)

      Delete
  2. Mmmm remembering now there's a thought! Lol
    Using the tools that's the important thing for me. Developing the habit is what makes the journey a lot easier, especially when I meet bum biting dogs, and fire breathing dragons along the road, because I have some extra reserve in my tool box, and I can enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice if I could remember to use them BEFORE I get bitten or singed!

      Delete