I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Say Yes

From the Buckland Romani Tarot, the Fool; from the Lakota Sweat Lodge Cards, "Okaga Ska:"
 "You never say yes to anything."
          I've been reading Shonda Rhimes' book, Year of Yes. It was a shock to find out this successful writer and producer was obsessively reclusive. But one Thanksgiving her sister pointed out (not so subtlety as sisters are wont to do) that her immediate reaction to almost every opportunity that put her in the public eye was "no." It made me pause and question how I approach life; if I'm honest, I say "no" way more often than I say "yes." Now I can give reasonable excuses and explanations, but underneath them lies the real reason - fear. Fear that I will screw up and make a fool of myself. Fear that I don't have the knowledge or talent it takes to do things right. Fear that I will be tossed aside because of my defects and deficiencies. Yet here is the eager, enthusiastic Fool who tells me to take a leap of faith without looking down.
          The Lakota Sweat Lodge Card represents the direction of South, the place that produces "the warm winds that enable Mother Earth to bear her fruits." This point represents clearing the ground of old patterns and habits to allow for new growth. No one plants cotton on top of a field full of corn stalk stubble. Time to plow up those fearful "nos" and start saying "yes."

4 comments:

  1. I'll not be hearing or standing for a no I'm busy if we ever get an opportunity to meet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But what if you don't like me in person... (just kidding). It would be an honor. :)

      Delete
  2. Fears multiply so easily; like bindweed. They overgrow every good intention to change and be more .... (fill in whatever you would like to be) Delving through those fears to the save the little Bev who is buried beneath them will be daunting but you will be able to hold her close her and say YES to whatever she wants
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how as children we never turned down any fun and excitement..

      Delete