I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, May 26, 2017

Temporary Happiness

From the Tabula Mundi Tarot, the Nine of Cups; from the Universe Cards, the Star:
          The koi in this illustration are auspicious creatures, representing good fortune, harmony and happiness (and the meaning of the Nine of Cups). Meleen has also included three animals from her Wheel of Fortune card that symbolize the gunas from yogic philosophy (a combination of qualities found in everything and everyone). The lemur with its sun-disk and horns headdress signifies rajas: energy, longing and attachment. The serpent hand that holds a wishbone indicates tamas: darkness, inertia, inactivity and a material nature. The owl with its crown denotes sattva: harmony, balance, joy and intelligence. All of these qualities may be found within pleasure in varying degrees, but the crowned owl symbolizes a middle path that won't leave us feeling depressed or angry when the fun is replaced by something less pleasant. The Star card has been assigned the keyword 'stability.' Even though its creation and destruction is rather cataclysmic, a star has a long period of stability. It fits well with sattva and the principle of equanimity.
Real equanimity isn’t indifference. It’s the capacity to be present 
with your whole being and not add fuel to the fire. ~ Jack Kornfield

8 comments:

  1. Embracing Satva seems to me a perfect way of living my life ±'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Nine of Cups really challenges the preconceived interpretations based on other decks. The only thing I can get from it is all things pour forth from Spirit, even the constant expanding Universe.

      Delete
    2. This deck is based on the Thoth, so its cards and meanings often look quite different from an RWS deck. :)

      Delete
    3. It reminds me of the Hermetic Tarot in style. I wanted to buy the Tabula Mundi at some point because of the wonderful artwork, but I find puzzling esoteric decks don't capture my interest these days. I got tired of the looky-up games and the "only we hold the great mysteries of life" vibe.



      Delete
    4. @ Ellen
      I think the middle way would be beneficial for all of us! (And the + and - seem to be good symbols for that :D)
      @ woley
      Meleen's books that go with the decks explain the cards well, much better than the Thoth to me.

      Delete
  2. Huh, that's a pretty odd card! I love the lemur, but the serpent hand is just a bit too freaky. Still, I like her bringing the gunas into it. Though rajas and tamas aren't really bad per se - there's a time for inertia, and a time for energy. Maybe it's just a resistance from my days as a yoga teacher, as often what was 'sold' as sattvic, just seemed bland and 'yogier than thou' :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, this is more my take than Meleen's. But I'm guessing by your comments that you won't be buying this deck any time soon, lol!

      Delete