I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, May 8, 2017

Walking Stick or Club?

From the Tarot of the Sidhe, Dreamer Five (Five of Swords/Air); from the Green Man Tree Oracle, Blackthorn:
         When there is an argument instead of a discussion, there will always be casualties. Our ideas and beliefs are closely bound with our ego; when they are attacked or threatened, we also feel personally assaulted. We get angry, lash out and attempt to do more damage than we take. Is there a way to avoid such hurt? I am reminded of a story about Buddha who was teaching in a village. A man there came up to him and told Buddha he had no right to teach because he was ignorant and a fake. The Buddha said, "Tell me, if you buy a gift for someone, and that person does not take it, to whom does the gift belong?" The man replied it would be his since he bought the gift. The Buddha responded, "That is true. And it is exactly the same with your anger." The Blackthorn is a small tree named for its spur-like shoots and dark bark. Shillelaghs, a combined walking stick and club, were often made from its wood. It's message is the question, "What protects you and what pricks you?" I can bet that anything someone says that pricks my ego is what I am using to protect and feel good about myself. But it is also what keeps my heart and mind closed and defensive rather than open and receptive.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate the telling of the parable. I am keeping that on my desk this week. I am several issues to work through and that will help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anger can be a 'walking stick' to motivate us instead of the club, but it is hard to be aware of that emotion before the surge hits if I'm not mindful of the direction my thoughts are taking. :)

      Delete