I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Short But Complete Sentences

From the Tarot of Timeless Truth, the Ten of Wands:
As this woman struggles up the hill with her load, I can almost hear her thoughts: "Why do I always get stuck with this job? I feel like I'm carrying the loads of everyone else." I imagine she has such a load because she agrees to it to keep everyone happy or she thinks no one can do the job right but her. Yesterday as I sat down to meditate, I began with my breathing exercises (the "three part breath"). I noticed immediately how hard it was for me - I was so tense I couldn't fully extend my belly/diaphragm. It's funny that even if my mind can overlook my stress, my body refuses to do so. This time of year is full of extra activities, and some are quite fun. But if I overload myself, I have only one person to blame. I need to take author Anne Lamott's advice: "Learn to use 'No' as a complete sentence."

From the Rune Cards comes "Ice / Is:"
Ice is very cold and immeasurably slippery;
it glistens as clear as glass and most like to gems;
it is a floor wrought by the frost, fair to look upon.
~ Anglo-Saxon poem
The part of the rune poem about Is describes it as "fair" but also "slippery." In other words, it warns me that what looks and sounds great might not turn out to be. Instead of being impulsive, I need to look at the big picture and see from a long-range point of view when I decide whether or not to add to my holiday schedule. I may miss out on a few get-togethers or events, but at least my health and sanity will remain in tact.

9 comments:

  1. these rune cards are beautiful.
    Ordered my pictish this morning, had her invoice me via paypal, I can never get etsy to co-oporate with me. I ordered yellow cedar. Love things to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are happy with the oracle! If by some chance she forgets to send you the pdf for the info/meanings behind them, shoot me an email and I'll send it to you. Thanks to you, I now have the picture and link to them on my blog. :D

      Delete
  2. I wish you could trough all the sticks in a corner and look after yourself first. For that is what in my point a view this Is is telling you. For me Is is similar to The Hermit. It represents a time introspection, a healing pause, rest, slow down and silence. a stasis perhaps you like this picture: http://www.epilogue.net/art/23461-stasis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to be helpful, but some of that "help" can turn out to be a burden I don't need! Oh I love that picture! And I notice the icicles on the cave look like the ones in the rune card I drew today. :)

      Delete
    2. Just take an example to the bear. She isn't helping anyone and is sleeping like a baby.

      Delete
  3. As ever, I love how you combine two different systems - they really seem to go well together today. I agree with Sharyn, too, those are gorgeous rune cards. I have several decks, but these black and white ones are stunning! And I'm making a note of that "Learn to use 'No' as a complete sentence." :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned to say "No" but I still want to explain the reason, as if I had something to feel guilty about. As Lamott says, I need to just say "No" and be done with it!

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with you. I always carry with the worries of everybody (family, friends) on my mind and my back, as these were mine, and always trying to help solving (sometimes I can and others it isn't on my hands) and it turns heavy.Therefore I'll take this wise phrase! And watching the oracle image I feel it refreshes and relieves the heavy load. Muchas Estrellas!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in most cases the decision was mine so I can't blame the burden on someone else. Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete