I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Prayer for Peace

This week I'll be using the Japaridze Tarot, painted by Nino Japaridze. Its booklet was written by Steve Lucas and the set was published by U.S. Games. The oracle I'll be drawing from is the I Ching, illustrated by Klaus Holitzka with instructions by Marlies Holitzka; it is published by AGM Urania. Today's draws are the Two of Gardens (Pentacles) and the eleventh hexagram "Peace:"
           A man juggles fruit while stepping lightly across a cloud. The fruit makes me think of good health and the toll stress can take when we have many demands made on us. The yellow sky and the cloud he walks on is a nod to the necessity of logic during such times. While flexibility is a must, this is no time to fly by the seat of one's pants. Multiple plans should be considered for a variety of situations. Reason rather than emotion will be a better guide right now.
          The eleventh hexagram shows heaven coming down to earth, creating a union that produces deep harmony. In this place, peace rather than chaos will reign. If I maintain a peaceful heart and mind, I can have a positive effect on the environment I am in. If I am upset or angry, I only add to the disorder and confusion. "Be a breath of life to the body of humankind, a dew to the soil of the human heart, and a fruit upon the tree of humility." (Baha'i prayer for peace)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a lovely combination...sowing the seeds of peace. I'm singing as I write this, a Sufi song that sums this up for me, "My life is my prayer, as I live so I am".

    And one more comes to mind from the words of Sainte Therese of Lisieux, "I'm going to spend my Heaven doing good works on Earth."

    Really resonant pairing today! And to further underscore the symmetry of these two cards, look how the balls he's juggling in the Tarot card are mirrored by the balls in the Oracle cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, one card does seem a reflection of the other! The Sufi song and quote by St. Therese made me think of this by Emily Dickinson:
    Who has not found the heaven below
    Will fail of it above.
    God’s residence is next to mine,
    His furniture is love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think I may not be organized, but I can be prepared, at list within myself if not outside myself, cause I can't control external circumstances. Beautiful cards and combination Bev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it - change/handle what you can and accept the rest without freaking out. :)

      Delete
  4. I like that the Japaridze figure is juggling fruit, a reminder that we should seek a healthy balance, and at least eat well if we have to let other self-care drop for a time. Beautiful prayer, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Health was my first thought too when I saw the fruit, and generally what most people don't pay attention to when there is a crisis or a lot going on.

      Delete