I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Who's Responsible for this Mess?

From the Tarot of the Masters, the King of Cups:
  
Whether the rhythmic pounding of ocean waves or the trickling sound of a stream, listening to the movement of water has always created a feeling of calm in me. The King of Cups has found that peaceful center within himself. The rushing of emotions - anger, grief, anxiety - that drive the actions of so many people just roll off him like water on a duck's back. I was doing my best to channel him when I got a call late last night. A female acquaintance had gotten herself into all sorts of problems because of an addiction, and I got the impression she wanted me to be as upset about the situation as she was. She begged for sympathy and advice about what to do. I've dealt with her too many times before to know she won't do anything I suggest unless it will get her out of the mess she's created. I have compassion for this woman, but I refuse to follow her down the rabbit hole she's in.

From the Key to the Kingdom comes the "Two of Hearts:"
The Big Baboon is found upon
The plains of Cariboo.
He goes about with nothing on
(A shocking thing to do).
But if he dressed respectably
And let his whiskers grow,
How like this Big Baboon would be
To Mister So-and-so!
Clothes, money, heritage or group affiliation don't make a person better or more moral than anyone without those things. I am amazed at the people who feel entitled to being excused for behavior which they would never condone if done by others. In an article on Cracked.com, David Wong wrote, "It's not just that we make excuses for our behavior, it's that we make a really specific excuse: That the person who did the bad thing wasn't the 'real' us." For instance, "I would never have said those hurtful things if I wasn't drunk." I can only take responsibility for my stuff, but I also need to make sure I'm not trying to make a pile of poo smell sweeter when I do it.

4 comments:

  1. Often those kind of people suck the life out of you if you let them They play a psychological game that's called the "Yes, but....." Game. The only one who can stop that is the listener. The complainer is only after your attention, not after a sound advice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to try to reason with those types of people, but soon learned that had as much effect as talking to a brick.

      Delete
  2. Is that second serene image mentioned in the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Ricklef's book "Tarot Affirmations," he mentions the image he drew was inspired by "a Japanese hanging scroll that depicts the Bodhisattva of Compassion and Mercy. I did a little googling and came up with this:
      http://www.asiasocietymuseum.org/region_object.asp?RegionID=6&CountryID=14&ChapterID=38&ObjectID=504

      Delete