I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, May 9, 2014

Deep Roots, Good Soil

From the Da Vinci Enigma Tarot, the Nine of Earth (Pentacles):
Where is your rightful place?
What is the necessary attitude to take here?
These trees beside the water remind me of the black willows we have here that grow so abundantly beside ponds and lakes. While these willows are water lovers, many trees aren't - as seen by the large trees that have fallen lately because too much rain made the ground too soggy to support them. The Nine of Earth does involve putting down roots in a place, working hard, and finding independence and self-sufficiency as a result. But first I must find my "rightful place," the environment ("soil") that can support the skills and knowledge I have to offer. When I do, my commitment will bring fruitful results, because I'll be doing something I believe in and enjoy. In the words of J.M. Berrie, "Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else."

From the Insectorum Divinorum comes the "Nightcrawler:"
This large earthworm comes to the surface to feed, sometimes pulling leaves into its burrow to partially decay before being eaten. These worms help aerate and fertilize the soil, are a source of food for other animals, and may frequently be used in residential composting or as fishing bait. The nightcrawler is a reminder not to dismiss work that seems boring and unglamorous. Many "important" efforts depend on the foundation laid by those who do such seemingly insignificant tasks.


3 comments:

  1. Perhaps part of your "soil" is this blog. It seems to me you have been rooting here for quite a while now. And some new soil could be your meditation class
    The nightcrawler reminds me of our daily housework. Never finished, mostly boring but so rewarding when it is done :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, your comment gave me some food for thought. I wonder if part of that "work" may involve the spiritual tools I use for myself (blog, meditation) that I enjoy. And though they seem insignificant in the big scheme of things, they may be helpful to someone. :) I've got two more classes - including tonight - with this group; it's been very rewarding for me.

      Delete
    2. And I guess they are helpful for you too :D.
      Enjoy your class

      Delete