I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Luck? I Don't Think So.

This week I'll be using the Gill Tarot, created by Elizabeth Gill and published by U.S. Games. Today's draw is the Ten of Cups:
Someone asked me the other day how I got so lucky to have such a good marriage. Believe me, luck has nothing to do with it. In this card, that bottom cup rests on a foundation of bedrock. In relationship terms, that means honesty, loyalty, patience, perseverance and kindness. Good looks fade and the "newness" and excitement wear off pretty quickly. There needs to be more substance than that if a relationship is going to sustain itself. In her companion book, Gill speaks of a "sustained effort" needed to make it up that mountain. I agree 100%.

The oracle deck I'll be working with this week is The Circle; it was created by D.R. Taylor and published by Versation Publishing. This morning's pick is "Nurture:"
When I saw the nursing babe and the keyword, I picked up the companion book expecting to read words that encouraged me to give of myself. Instead, Taylor makes it very plain this card includes both giving and receiving. He writes that nurture involves an understanding of grace and realizing "both giving and receiving require humility." Relationships can't thrive if the people involved are only takers, yet neither will it survive if the participants refuse to be receptive. It's a two-way street.

7 comments:

  1. It isn't for nothing that we adore babies and puppies. there loveliness is their gift to us, so will we feed and protect them
    I agree with you a good solid relationship requires a lot of hard work and trust that each will do his part of that work. This is why my relationship isn't was it used to be. It has become a one way street which I will continue to follow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (((Ellen))), you are like Sharyn - both of you have chosen the path of compassion. The only "gift" in those relationships may be the memories you have of the people you loved when they were well. I admire both of you for your unflagging loving-kindness.

      Delete
    2. Well I agree about the compassion part but "unflagging" not so much.
      Sometimes I am just so fed up with my life. But then I know it is what it is and I have to make the best of it for both of us.
      Hugs

      Delete
    3. I think that just makes you a normal human. :) But because you continue on, it makes you a better human than most in my book.

      Delete
    4. This moves me. Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. I have the original publication of the Circle Deck which was a numbered edition. I actually put the book through the shredder because I found it so vacuous.

    Different strokes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to take what I can use from companion books and discard the rest - but I've never actually shredded a book before! :D
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete