I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Relax and Be Receptive

This week I'll be using the Tarot Lukumi, a deck created by Caelum Rainieri, Ivory Andersen and Raphael Montoliu. It is published by Dal Negro. Today's draw is the Four of Swords:
This card is represented by the Orisha Oggun, a warrior known for his power and protection as well as being an inventor of tools and weapons. His "cutting edge" can be used to hurt or heal. In the background of this card are three decapitated heads hanging from a tree with their bodies upside down underneath. Yes, these are my enemies, but they are the ones who live in my head. One is consumed with guilt and hounds me with "shoulds." The second is full of self-righteous anger and plots revenge. The third is formed from fears, and anxiously urges me to make future plans for all those "what ifs." Oggun, however, has silenced them with his machete. He encourages me to quiet my thoughts and allow my mind and body to rest; when I feel refreshed I can begin again.

The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the Diloggun Cards, a digital set created through the use of art by Mase Lobe. Each card is associated with an Ifa ethic as well as a proverb, with information from a book by Ifa Karade called The Handbook of Yoruba Religious Concepts. This morning's draw is "Okanran (8 mouths):"
Ifa: One must come to recognize that stubbornness is not beneficial; the truth regarding oneself must be listened to. Do not be overly influenced by your self-defensive ego.
Proverb: Ears that do not listen to advice, accompany the head when it is chopped off.
Okay, that proverb almost made me snort my coffee, especially in the way it parallels the Four of Swords image above. I can be incredibly stubborn and unbending when it comes to my ideas, and that mindset always leads to conflict. The truth is I don't know everything, my opinions aren't always right, and sometimes my plans can harm rather than heal. Better to step back and take a breath; I obviously need to keep my ears open and my mouth closed for now.

3 comments:

  1. Most of the time I like the four of swords but I don't get a relaxed vibe of this one. His facial expression looks worried to me so I guess he has a lot of sitting and being quiet to do. As do I. Lately I seem to need more quiet time than usual. Today my house is filled chit chatter of my kids incl my SIL, the TV and the radio from the neighbors. I am going to seek out a silent spot right now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me smile - sometimes I want to relax my mind and body, but I'm not very patient about it. I sit still for 5 minutes and my mind is like a little kid that says over and over, "Are we relaxed now? Are we done now?"

      Delete
    2. My mind tries to convince me it is no use to sit still We are so busy with nonsense that is makes no sense to us at all to sit down and be quiet :D
      How do we ever shut ourselves up!

      Delete