I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Watching Grass Grow

From the Anna K. Tarot, the Seven of Pentacles:
The usual RWS version of this card shows a farmer looking at the fruits his efforts have produced and taking note about how he might improve next year's harvest. Kleffinger's fellow has cleared the stones from his field, tilled the earth, planted the seeds and given them all a good drink of water. The outcome of his hard work, however, is just beginning to develop. He will need patience for his crop to mature. I am reminded by this card that my first impressions are often wrong. I've been surprised by people, projects and situations as I let each progress and unfold on their own timetable. There's no need to throw up my hands in exasperation yet.

From the Green Man Tree Oracle comes "Birch - Beith:"
 The color ban, or white, is associated with the birch tree and Beith and implies purity and self-discipline. As the first letter of the ogham, it is also related to new beginnings. In her book, Laurie asks, "How can I prepare for life? Where do I need self-discipline?" The tarot card above would encourage me to have patience and let things move at their own pace. But the Amanita muscaria mushrooms (hallucinogenic) growing next to one of the birch trees are a caution not to attempt to distract myself so I don't have to endure the wait. Part of the discipline is paying attention - some of the effort expended is internal.

2 comments:

  1. O what wonders we might experience while waiting and doing `Nothing`
    I have a great deal of trouble doing nothing and let my mind wander. Even when I am meditating I am active. My mushrooms are the TV,internet and books :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got lots of mushrooms too. :D They wouldn't be a problem if they didn't keep me from focusing on what I need keep my attention on!

      Delete