I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Arms Wide Open

From the Gaian Tarot, the Nine of Water (Cups); from the Goddess Oracle, "Amaterasu:"
          I completely understand the use of this image for the Nine of Cups. Although I've never been in an ocean cave watching the sun shine through the entrance, I've had similar experiences. I distinctly remember a day in spring - the sun was shining brightly, a breeze made a swishing sound in the tops of the pine trees, and flowers were beginning to bloom. I held out my arms, closed my eyes, lifted my face to the sun and did a slow 360 degree turn trying to embrace all of it. It was a moment of joy, contentment and deep gratitude. Sure it wasn't going to last forever, but instead of worrying about that, I chose to be mindful of the wonder and delight right then.
          The Japanese sun goddess Amaterasu had a crude, cruel brother who so offended her, she went to hide in a cave and refused to come out. It's easy to feel happy when things are going good, but quite a bit harder when they aren't. Like Amaterasu, during those hard times I tend to want to isolate and have a pity party for one. What got her out of her cave? Uzume, a shaman-goddess did a bawdy dance that caused the other gods and goddesses to laugh long and hard. Curious, Amaterasu came out to see what she was missing. Contact with others is essential for me, even if it's on a one-to-one basis. They give me the courage to continue to stand outside with my arms wide until the clouds move away from the sun.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful encouraging pair of cards you've got to start the new year with.This posture indicates trust and willingness to embrace what ever is coming...:)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, Ellen! I hope I can hang on to that idea. :)

      Delete
  2. all the best to you and yours. Thank you for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you and Rob; I am grateful to call you friend. :)

      Delete