I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Choose Fear of Fun

From the Gaian Tarot, the Nine of Air (Swords); from the Goddess Oracle, "Bast:"
          The woman holding on to the standing stone is obviously in distress, emphasized by the storm clouds around her. The image in the clouds is a from a petroglyph found in Washington called "She Who Watches." It represents a chief who was turned to stone so she could permanently watch over and protect her people. I've been around a lot of friends and family lately, and their well-meaning questions often began with: "What are you going to do about..." "Have you made a decision about..." "Don't you think you should..." After several days of listening to that, I'm looking for my own security stone to keep my anxiety at bay. Yet these are just thoughts floating around; like a scary dream they're not solid.
          Janto's painting of the Egyptian goddess Bast never fails to make me smile. And I can't help but notice how much the petrogylph in the tarot card resembles a cat. Bast and Sekhemet (the lion-headed goddess) represented two powers of the sun: the life-giving aspect and the destroying aspect. Bast ruled pleasure, dance, music, joy and health. Marashinsky suggests Bast represents "play," writing "opportunities for self-amusement are endless." Indeed, who would want to waste time biting their nails, when they could be having a good time?

2 comments:

  1. I have a little statue of Bast in my living room reminding me to choose play over anxiety. Sometimes I wish she would meow a bit louder but I guess now the holidays are over I will hear her more clearly. :D
    I wish you a playful, joyous and creative 2015
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, I hope you are blessed with joy, good health and a creative muse who continues to whisper in your ear in 2015. Happy New Year my friend!

      Delete