I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Detach to Discern

From the Legacy of the Divine Tarot, the King of Cups; from Steps to Serenity, "Shame:"
          I used to do a lot of cane pole fishing when I was younger; I attached one of those red and white plastic corks on the line to alert me to any nibbles. The King of Cups reminds me of a cork, as he floats atop his own emotions. He stays buoyant as the water ripples around him, offering unconditional love without allowing his empathy to become entangled in drama. If he happens to get hooked by some emotional chaos, he sends out the alert "Pull up! Pull up!" His appearance advises me that love doesn't mean getting yanked under.
          I look at guilt and shame as being slightly different, though they may feel the same. Guilt is the result of harm done - through words or actions - and amends or reparations are required to dissolve it. Shame on the other hand, is a product of emotional manipulation. It is designed to make a person feel worthless and thus malleable. But because they feel so similar, it can be hard to tell the difference. Am I being selfish or taking care of my own needs? It helps to be objective like the King of Cups, taking myself out of the picture and imagining another person in the same situation. Detach in order to discern.

3 comments:

  1. When it was about somebody else you would have saved saved him long ago. Why is it so damn (sorry for the word ) difficult to save ourselves. why do we always come last even though we intent to treat ourselves better?
    Sorry for ranting; I am tired :D

    ReplyDelete