I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Leave, But Take the Lesson With You

From the Norse Tarot, the Eight of Cups; from the Wolf Pack, "The Fool:"
       This card could be titled "The Echo of Emptiness." There's nothing personal to make this room cozy, everything is stark. The empty cups tell the tale of an unfulfilled relationship. It may be hard to leave it behind when I've poured myself into it, when I've made every possible effort to make it work. But how can I relate to the other side when they only orbit themselves? How can there be any form of connection when they can't see past the mirror? Or perhaps the problem is not them, but me; their lives may have changed and expanded while I sat comfortably complacent in one spot. Leaving allows me to begin again, hopefully a little wiser than before.
       The foolish wolf wants to be buddies with the bear, though any objective observer would realize this friendship will never happen. Why is it that we can't stand it when someone doesn't like us? We may say we don't care, but in our heads we obsess over it and try to uncover the reason. We may attempt to manipulate through people pleasing or go to the opposite extreme of seeking revenge. Yet it all boils down to me being responsible for me. I can't make someone else happy, and they aren't accountable for my joy either.

2 comments:

  1. It is hard not to be liked by somebody. it feels almost as if you have done something wrong and you want to make it right but you don't know how. Letting go of these feelings is the next best gift to yourself. Such relationships are manipulative and draining. Taking care of you. loving yourself unconditionally it the very best gift Because you are so worth it :)
    Big Hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the holidays really bring this kind of thing to light. It feels like there should be camaraderie and family love between people, but sometimes the reality is that it just isn't there. I can love, but I need to remember not expect that same love back from other people.

      Delete