I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Paddle Faster?

From the Legacy of the Divine, the Three of Wands; from the Steps to Serenity, "In the Moment:"
          I do feel as if my ship has come in. Last night I got six hours of solid sleep without waking up in pain, using only Yogi herbal tea. I've been to see the doctor twice now and have been following all his instructions (though I am getting stir-crazy), and this morning I feel like I have finally turned a corner. But like the Three of Wands, though things appear good, this is just the initial results. I probably don't need to jump in and do all those activities that were left unfinished just yet. Instead, I can just enjoy feeling more like my old self again.
          For those of you who know me well, you know what a planner I am and how much I like organization. So even though my body has been forced to be still, my mind has been racing. Unfortunately, the problem with structured planning is that it often leads to expectations that may or may not be fulfilled. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever had anything turn out exactly like I planned it. Which then makes me want to paddle that boat even harder and faster. But what I really need to do is slow down and take a deep breath. Being too much in my head instead of attending to my body is what got me in this mess. There's plenty in this moment to appreciate and enjoy; no need to run off to the future quite yet.

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear you are feeling better. Yes I know how hard it can be to take it easy when you want to do so much.
    Letting go of planning and expectations is hard but doable. I am making lists of the little things I can do instead of what I think I should do. That way a lot can be ticked of :D
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea - focus on the "doable" instead of the "don't-able". :D

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear you're doing better, too, Bev! I really get that planning head thing, and hope you can listen to the cards, and stay in the moment rather than spinning yourself into a frenzy.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember how we used to clip cards on our bike wheels so it would make that clickety-clack sound as we pedaled? I need a reminder like that when I start spinning so fast I don't know which direction I'm supposed to be headed in! :D

      Delete
    2. Ha, that's such an evocative image. I never did that, but have seen it in films. Something to remind us that we're here now and pedalling :)

      Delete