I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, July 2, 2017

The Library is Burning

This week I'll be using the PetraK Tarot, created by Petra Reiter-Köck and published by Piatnik. The oracle I'll be using this week is the AstroDice, created by Wessex Astrologer Ltd. It consists of three dice: one for Planets (the 'What'), one for Signs (the 'How') and one for Houses (the 'Where'). From the PetraK Tarot, the Nine of Discs; from the Astrodice, 'Pluto-Taurus-5th House:'
          Petra assigns this card the Thoth keyword of 'Gain;' looking at that solid trunk and sturdy roots, its easy to see the positive results grew from a foundation of hard work, perseverance and discipline. The dark, transforming energy of Pluto meets with the reliable steadiness of Taurus in the House of Creativity (hobbies, self-expression, entertainment). There is great change afoot in an area of enjoyment, but hopefully the dependability of the bull will keep thoughts and emotions from spinning into dire predictions and paranoia. I can't help but tie this card and dice roll with the news I just received about the coming shutdown of the Aeclectic Tarot forum on July 14th. While not every encounter I've made there has been pleasurable, I've learned much from the AT site. I've made several deep friendships on the forum, discovered some gorgeous decks there, and started this blog as a result of encouragement received from a member. One forum member (Elven) said she felt as if the Library of Alexandria was burning, and I have to agree. I will miss those purple pages and the friends I've made there.
To be fully alive, fully human, and completely awake is to be continually thrown out of the nest. 
~ Pema Chodron

4 comments:

  1. Oh No! I found the Aecletic Tarot forum years ago and it helped deepen my understanding of the tarot. Sorry to see it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I joined back in 2004, and it was a wealth of information for me. Also learned that there are many ways to read the tarot instead of just one. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my, I hadn't heard the news! While I don't go on there much these days, AT has been such a stalwart for Tarot news and deck images, and all kinds of exploration!
    Still, as that Nine of Pents suggests, the tarot has a strong foundation and it has branched out in many ways. Plus ca change...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine after 17 years that Kate is ready to let that ship pass. But as you said, it provided a firm foundation for many people entering the cartomancy world. I think the site itself will remain, but the forum will be locked.

      Delete