I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Timing is Essential

From the Deirdre of Sorrows Tarot, the Ace of Coins; from the Victorian Flower Oracle, Honeysuckle:
          Planning a garden - looking through catalogs, choosing seeds or plants and imagining the end result - can be much more fun than planting it. But at some point if we want more than a fantasy garden, we're going to have to get our hands dirty. The coin's imprint is unusual, showing  a cupid-like figure with bow and arrows set aside while gearwheels turn over his head. Obviously there is an emphasis on doing rather than feeling (I may not want to be out in the hot sun plowing and planting, but I need to do it anyway). The sundial behind him symbolizes a limited time frame for getting things done. Honeysuckle's message is 'fun and games,' which seems in conflict with the 'get moving' nudge of the Ace. Yet bodies need rest and minds need to unwind when work is hard, or it's likely the work won't every get completed. However honeysuckle (especially the invasive Japanese species) can easily take over an area if left on its on. Better set a timer so work doesn't get completely pushed aside in favor of play, if whatever project I'm working on is to get off the ground.

9 comments:

  1. Or.. Set a timer for rest because often when we are totally absorbed by our work we forget to pause. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, that is a lot going on in those cards. Makes me want to wipe my brow from the sweat on the farmers brow. Too late in the season really to plant much, maybe some broccoli. After harvest time to think about next seasons garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here cotton is just beginning to mature, and I've seen pepper plants and pea plants galore. I guess you can grow something in just about any season but the dead of winter (and even then you can have a indoor garden :D).

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of the format of structured writing retreats which schedule time to write, time to eat, time to work etc. The schedule is strictly adhered to and the retreats are consistently more productive than unstructured approaches.

    PS thanks for the heads up on the honeysuckle. I think we have the Japanese version in the garden...should have known really :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I meant time to walk not work! My naughty iPad strikes again!

      Delete
    2. Structure does have its place. The Japanese honeysuckle has a much better fragrance than our native one, but it can get out of bounds in a hurry if left on it's own.
      Spell-correct has turned some of my texts into real head scratchers. 😁

      Delete
  4. Rob is the green thumber here. I get bored even looking at the seed packs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much time as you spend outdoors mowing, I figured you would be the gardener!

      Delete