I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Benefit for Both

From the Fairytale Tarot, the Queen of Wands; from the Tree Affirmation Cards, Whispering Ash:
          In the tale of "Kip the Magic Cat," the queen's cat gives birth to a kitten as the queen gives birth to a princess. The kitten eventually saves the princess, and in so doing, saves herself. A spell Kip and her mother had been under was broken, and both turned back into humans. I found a Rumi quote in my email this morning that seems appropriate for this story: "Be a lamp, or a lifeboat, or a ladder. Help someone's soul heal." It is hard for humans not to look at everything through self-centered glasses. How do we even begin to practice selflessness when the world seems overwhelmed with pain and hatred right now? The Whispering Ash is a tree that is stirred by even the slightest breeze; its message is to be just as sensitive to any intuitive thought that redirects us from our repetitive self-interest. The ladders or lamps we extend to another may be as simple as the offer of a cup of coffee and a willingness to listen. We give the gift of kindness and get a break from our self-absorption - both sides benefit.

10 comments:

  1. A very wise and inspring post today. Espically since I am going to visit my mother this weekend. I will leave my expectations at home and bring a lamp and a ladder instead :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think having a 'lamp or ladder' mindset can totally change our experience. Good luck with your visit!

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see the Fairytale Tarot again. My, that's a blast from the past :) And I absolutely adore the message of the Whispering Ash! This is so appropriate to something that came up in my morning meditation, too, around 'what next?'
    And yes, we are in dire need of a redirect from all the pain and hatred. Hope you find many opportunities for that win-win today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the opportunities will come when I shift my focus from inward to outward. :)
      I keep thinking I'm going to trade this tarot set, but I continue to hang on to it.

      Delete
  3. We both drew Queens of Wands. Vastly different, but at the core there are similarities. Have a very good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sharyn this is a beautiful post. I want to read it over and over....

    ReplyDelete