I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Generosity, Backward and Forward

This week I'll be using the Deirdre of the Sorrows Tarot, a self-published set created by Deirdre O'Donoghue and illustrated by Wayne McGuire. Along with it, I'll be drawing from the Victorian Flower Oracle, created by Alex Ukolov, Karen Mahony and Sheila Hamilton; it was published by Magic Realist Press. Today's draws are the King of Coins and Daisy:
Obviously, you would give your life for your children, or give them the last biscuit on the plate.
But to me, the trick in life is to take that sense of generosity between kin, make it apply to the extended family and to your neighbour, your village and beyond. ~ Tom Stoppard

          I find it interesting that the people who don't spend a whole lot of money on themselves (other than occasional indulgences) often have no problem with generosity. Not that they are foolish enough to indiscriminately give away their wealth, but like this king, they tend to be benevolent and kind. He seems to be dropping gold coins from his pocket, while holding on to a larger one. Whoever shares his picnic will be going home with a full belly and heavier pockets. Daisy represents hearth, home and family. Seeing these two cards remind me how often my time and energy is spent on other people, leaving little for my loved ones. Even when I am home, I can be unavailable if I am staring at my phone, the computer or the television. Today I will attempt to practice generosity backward - beginning with my family and working outward.

4 comments:

  1. I've figured out the money thing.
    For some people it is the making,
    For some people is is what you can do with it.
    For some people it is the having.
    Think about the people you know and these categories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense to me; I can put most in one category or the other.

      Delete
  2. I too drew the King of Pentacles today. I try for the most part to be available for others, and more so for family. I will say a lot of the times I wasn't there for myself. Maybe that is what the Kings are saying to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget sometimes that we spend more than money. It is important to spend time for oneself too!

      Delete