I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Seek and Find

This week I'll be using Tarot in de Herstelde Orde (Restored Order Tarot) created by Rob Docters van Leeuwen & Onno Docters van Leeuwen and published by Servire. Today's draw is the Hermit:
Alone on a ledge, the Hermit looks out on the path he's traveled. This is a life review, a chance to look objectively at mistakes made, lessons learned and things he got right. He tallies up his assets (the sprouts on his staff) and his deficits, not to wallow in pride or self-pity, but so he can help others who will come after him. The hexagram in his lamp is a combination of the alchemical symbols for fire (upward triangle) and water (downward triangle). How can such opposites exist in harmony? How can a physical person lead a spiritual life here on earth? The answer is what illuminates the Hermit's lantern.

The other deck I'll be using this week is the Oracle of the Kabbalah created by Richard Seidman and published by St. Martin's Press. The letter drawn this morning is "Ayin:"
artwork by Veronique Cheney
Ayin literally means "eye" and is a symbol of perception and insight. In his companion book, Seidman notes how the shape of the letter resembles a dowsing rod for water. Ayin reminds me that like dowsing, I must seek understanding - it's not likely to spring up from the ground all on its own. The light of the Hermit is held in front of him but casts a shadow behind him; as I seek, I need to remember to look in those dark, dusty corners too.

4 comments:

  1. You can also look at the star in the lamp as a blending between masculine and feminine (upward and downward triangle)
    I just found your blog and I like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, thanks!

    ReplyDelete