I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Add an Empty Cup

From the Tarot of Cat People, the Ace of Wands; from the Sacred Geometry Oracle, the "Icosahedron:"
          In this Ace of Wands, a woman greets a firecat that arises from a creative flame. I imagine it to be much like a muse in animal form that is a source of inspiration. The firecat symbolizes the force that will poke and prod this woman to action. There will no longer be any dreamy afternoons ruminating in her easy chair about innovative intentions. She'd better go put on some running shoes. The Icosahedron, a Platonic solid, is made up of twenty, joined triangles. Greer associates it with receptiveness, which makes me think of a quote from the Tao te Ching: "That which is empty is used to create functionality." But this isn't just about leaving space for those creative ideas, it's also about the critiques given by those who see what is produced. Ask any artist or inventor, and I'm sure she could tell you plenty of stories about being criticized or (even worse) being completely ignored. Can I take those criticisms and suggestions, sift through them with a discerning yet open mind and accept what is useful? It might make the difference between success or endless frustration.

4 comments:

  1. I'm getting the image of a wide bowl aglow in the hara center for these two. Interesting combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a perfect image for the message I get for this combination. :)

      Delete
  2. Accepting criticism can be very difficult, especially when it is given to you in an nonconstructive manner. It took me 8 months to write my first (and only) book which I self published. I was very worried when I sent it out into the world. I wanted people to like it. I have several author friends who have been turned down by publishers many times, only to have there book finally get published, and become a huge success. One thing that I have learned is that criticism actually works in your favor at times, because it causes others to take notice of you and want to help you improve. The same goes for art, as I am no stranger to that either. I am the jack of all trades, but the master of none.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be hard to sift through the deconstructive criticism and look for any pertinent criticism that might help me improve my craft! I've been a "jane of all trades" too. :)

      Delete