I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, September 11, 2016

All the World's a Stage

This week I'll be using the Via Tarot, created by Susan Jameson and John Bonner; the book and deck were published by Urania/AGM. I'll also be using the Nature's Pharmacy Deck created by the New York Botanical Garden and published by Chronicle Books. Today's draws are the Prince (Knight) of Cups and Marsh Mallow:
          This young man strikes such a theatrical pose that it made me smile when I drew him. In his chariot pulled by an eagle (he is the airy part of water), he heads toward the depths of a pond full of lotus flowers. Bonner writes that this figure represents the "ability to accept and deal with emotional needs." I am reminded of how often we feel one way, yet present a different face to others. I have one friend that laughs when she's anxious, and another who cries when she's angry. Me? I put a wall up and appear to unaffected at all when my emotions are churning. The problem comes when we're with other people who generally judge how we're feeling by our outsides. I'm sure putting up a false front isn't helpful in dealing with my emotional needs. If I'm hiding behind a mask, no one will know I need any support and encouragement. Althaea officinalis, or marsh mallow is a perennial that has been used to treat sore throats and dry coughs (the Greek root of Althaea means 'to heal'). This plant is most known, however, for the sugary treat originally made from its roots - marshmallows (now made with gelatin). The sweetness and softness of the confection that comes from this plant suggest that it's okay to be kind and compassionate towards myself. There's no need to put on a brave face if that's not how I feel, though I don't need to go overboard and be dramatic either.

7 comments:

  1. I do that wall thing too. Do it long enough and you lose touch with the emotions altogether. Not good :). Like you say people don't realise support would help so none offered equaling more wall...I will aim for more emotional candour this month, year, life :D

    That botanical deck is beautiful. Reminds me Chelsea physic garden is still on my 'bucket list'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any botanical garden is on my bucket list! :)
      I was forced to be stoic as a child; it has been a hard habit to break!

      Delete
  2. That knight with his helmet seems like maybe he is Hermes the messenger of the gods delivering a message to you from Zeus (who sometimes disguised himself as a eagle). Have a fab Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His helmet does look a lot like that of Hermes'. Hope you have a delightful Sunday too, Carolyn!

      Delete
  3. I have the Botanical deck, too, and really enjoy the attention to detail and matter of fact descriptions on the backs of the cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first saw them on JJ's blog, "Photon Stimulus," and knew I had to track a set down. :)

      Delete
    2. I think that's where I saw them first, too. With the same reaction :)

      Delete