I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Mountains to Molehills

From the Bonefire Tarot, the Five of Wands; from the Day of the Dead Lenormand, the Mice:
          The Five of Wands shows a group of burning pine cones; they tend to light easily and burn brightly. They make lots of cracking and popping noises (from the sap) but burn out very quickly. On top of the cones are a pair of 'conkers' - two horse chestnuts on the end of a string. In this game, kids take turns trying to crack their opponent's nut. Both these symbols remind me that no matter how intense a conflict or hassle may feel at the time, it's not that big of a deal in the larger scheme of things. However the appearance of the Mice show how these kind of little things can gnaw into my joy and contentment. Though these situations are really just inconveniences that might give me a headache, my emotions can make them into something much larger. My body will respond with a cortisol cocktail, and I start acting like the hassles are all major hurdles. A friend once remarked (when I was having such a day): "So you took a bad ten minutes and stretched it into a whole day?" Her wry sense of humor shrinks my mountains back to molehills every time.

6 comments:

  1. Same here, I took a bad ten minutes and stretched it in to a whole night. These instances are just an inconvenience. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much easier to see when I've done this when I'm on the other side of it. :)

      Delete
  2. Ah they tend to tell me just the same thing! I can "make an elephant out of a musquito" anytime! (That is Dutch proverb for this situation)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the joy of a 'cortisol cocktail'. If I could better manage my responses to small stressors my waist would be at least four inches smaller :)

    ReplyDelete