I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Count on Me

From the Idiosyncradeck Tarot, the Two of Cups; from the Mixed Emotions deck, 'Hopeless:'
One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives. ~Euripides

          Everyone needs at least one loyal friend: someone who keeps our confidences, inspires us to take a risk, sits patiently with us when we're suffering, has no subject that is off-limits, and who makes us laugh. It's a give-and-take relationship that allows joys and sorrows to be shared equally by both sides. Such a relationship requires courage; its openness and honesty override any hint of ego stroking. When things are going great for one but not the other, there is no lessening of happiness or jealousy, only sympathetic joy. On the other hand, the Hopeless card presents a different scenario. As Arnold Glasow wrote, "A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down." When we are in a dark hole and overwhelmed, we need a friend to gently remind us that we're the one with the shovel doing the digging. They will be the ones who don't humiliate with shame but simply reach out a hand for us to grab. As Dionne Warwick reminds us, "That's what friends are for."


13 comments:

  1. It's been a while my dear Beverly. This post is reassuring me our friendship will survive my blogging hiatus.
    Hugs Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I told another friend, true friendships have roots deeper than what our current interests and hobbies are. :) Hope you are well.

      Delete
    2. It's been tough but I am starting to feel better again, It must be the stirring of Spring, 💕

      Delete
  2. I'm sure loving these two decks, which are new to me! I think; unless I've seen them at Sharyn's webpage and forgotten. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Idiosyncradeck is an Etsy self-published one (but out-of-print now I think. There are times when people-free decks are nice. :) I got the Mixed Emotions deck to use with a group, but decided I give it a try here and see how it worked with tarot. Thanks for popping by Stubblejumper!

      Delete
  3. Time and distance are irrelevant to an Anam Cara. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your post this morning before I had to dash off to work. I thought of those first couple of lines of your post of and on today and again now. I do not have that faithful supportive friend in ally in my life; saddens me, but more it will I spur me outward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are busy as you are with work, it can be hard to develop deep friendships. But I highly recommend having a few friends you can tell and trust your innermost thoughts with. It will be my wish for you to find someone like that!

      Delete
    2. You know I am still pondering faithful friends, and years ago before real estate I remember a few. Direct sales is a hard business. Thank you for your wish for me.

      Delete