I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, October 3, 2020

Choke Collared Leash

From the Russian Lubok Tarot, the Devil; from the Marseille Oracle, Progress:

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.
― Oscar Wilde

          Though it is tempting to blame the Devil for pulling our strings, the hard truth is that he is only a personification of my dark side - those emotions and instincts I let run wild without boundaries. My two greatest inner demons are fear and anger; without rationally questioning the validity of their assumptions, they can quickly put me on a choke collared leash. There are layers upon layers when it comes to the motives of humans, each of us shaped and conditioned by our lives. Yet as adults, most of us get to make our own choices. I've met the Devil, and he is me. Progress suggests that clear awareness rather than blame or excuses will move us in a more skillful, healthy direction. Unless of course, that choke collar has become a secret form of security.


5 comments:

  1. I have found the word devil and interesting word. Spelled backwards - lived. So many other words within the word devil, giving us a different perspective on d-e-v-i-l.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps a life is truly lived when we take off our choke collar. :)

      Delete
    2. Another interesting word within d-e-v-i-l is lie.

      Delete
  2. I had to know... according to wordfinders.com 31 words can be made from devil. I'm not buying a lot of them, but it 'says' they are legal in scrabble. Good exercise though, and 'lived' makes me think, well done! Mother loved scrabble, I could only begin to beat her when her dementia became fairly advanced :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't played it in a while, but Scrabble is one of our favorites. :)

      Delete