I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Watch that Sharp Tongue!

From the World Spirit Tarot, the Seer (Page) of Swords:
Most adults, watching this young girl balance a sharp sword on her hand, would say, "What are you trying to do? Lose a finger?" Those who are older and wiser know the risks of some actions, including the words spoken to and about other people. The Buddhist Monastic Code (The Patimokkha) gives some guidelines that I think all folks would do well to heed: “Do I speak at the right time, or not? Do I speak of facts, or not? Do I speak gently or harshly? Do I speak profitable words or not? Do I speak with a kindly heart, or inwardly malicious?” Just because I might think of something witty and clever doesn't mean it is the right thing to say.

From the Mystic Glyphs deck comes "Elk:"
I had to smile when I drew this glyph, as the male elk is known for his loud bugling call. Yet the book reminds me of the importance of belonging to groups, just as the elk (when antlers are shed and rutting season is over) band together for protection. And though honesty needs to be an important part of any association or group, the truth can be stated without the intention of harming. Some of my favorite words are from Rabbi Milton Steinberg who said, "When I was a young man, I admired clever people. Now that I am older, I admire kind people." Amen.

2 comments:

  1. The world would be a lot better place when we would be more aware of our words. For me it is a constant challenge to keep my big mouth shut and breath a few times before I say something. Especially when I get irritated. That are the worsted moments to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm riding on a big bubble of emotion, the best thing I can do is keep my mouth shut. If I can't contain myself, I'll try to write things down first. That tends to help defuse the emotions a bit.

      Delete