I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Flying Hooves and Egos

From the Prairie Tarot, the Tower:
I've never been unceremoniously bucked off a horse, but I have been on one galloping at top speed when the saddle slipped. Instead of feeling the freedom of riding, I felt the terror that I might be crushed under those flying hooves. Thankfully, he just wanted to go back to the barn (which was close by), so I survived. Yet it was an eye-opener to realize holding the reins had nothing to do with who was actually in charge. The Tower is an occasion when my ego is unseated from its throne, allowing insight to occur. I think I better strap a pillow to my backside today to cushion the fall.

From the Medicine Cards this morning comes the "Turtle:"
The turtle is an interesting reptile, living part of its life in the water and part on land. No wonder the native people of North America saw it as a symbol of Mother Earth. We have pond sliders here, and I've watched them crawl out of the water to dig a hole and lay their eggs. It takes from two to three months for them to incubate, as they use the heat from the sun. Turtle reminds me that my goals must be grounded (realistic) and given time to develop. Trying to forego preparation and hurry things along is likely to result in a hard landing such as shown in the Tower above.

6 comments:

  1. "holding the reins had nothing to do with who was actually in charge" that is a wonderful insight. Being in control is an ongoing illusion.
    (When a turtle has a hard landing it is not that bad:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ego is good at coming up with those types of illusions. :)
      I noticed you haven't posted on your blog lately - hope that means you're just taking a break and everything is okay!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for asking. I am feeling better now but to many things were going on and left me a bit exhausted and feeling down.Luckily the sun is shining bright and I will be posting soon again.
      hugs

      Delete
    3. (((Ellen))), I'll be holding you in my thoughts today.

      Delete
  2. great tower analogy! Be well both of you...

    ReplyDelete