I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Growl with Claws Retracted

This week I'll be using the Fairytale Tarot, a deck and book set published by Magic Realist Press and created by Karen Mahony and Alex Ukolov. Today's draw is the Queen of Wands:
Since both the RWS and the Thoth decks include a cat in their depictions of this queen, it seems natural that the Fairytale deck uses a story about a cat. Kit, the feline, saves a princess from certain death at the hands of a troll. When they both return safely home, the cat turns into a princess herself. For me, the cat represents the passion within the princess; it urges her to fight for her life and for what she loves. I think all of us have this burning ember within us, and I am advised to fan it into a flame to protect and nurture what is important to me.

The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the Tree Affirmation Cards created and self-published by Victoria Sofia Lewis. This morning's draw is the "Pendiculate Oak:"
I face my difficulties with courage and open my heart to compassion.
I don't know about you, but when I am facing a battle or challenge, I find it quite hard to be compassionate to the other party involved. As an example: the other evening I found a group of parents from the ball park standing in my yard smoking (which they don't allow at the ball park). I asked them not to smoke in my yard, and one of the women glared and said, "Where do you want us to smoke? Out in the street?" I told her that would be great. Had I been in possession of a high-powered fire hose, I would have turned it on all of them, sending them into the next county if possible. When I have such thoughts, I try to remember a quote by Ram Dass, “We're all just walking each other home.” Some of us are a little more lost as we wander on our journeys, and while I don't need to let anyone leave tread marks on my face, a little compassion added to my passion can go a long way.

3 comments:

  1. I have neighbors with a loud barking dog. They bring the worst out of me. They are always smiling and never listening or doing something about it. There is not an ounce of compassion for them in me. We are only human and I will practice compassion on somebody else who is less annoying.
    The queen? wish I had the guts to state my heart desires because it looks like compassion is holding me back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "They bring the worst out of me." This is my problem, and I would love to figure out how to transform this so they bring out the BEST in me instead of the worst!

      Delete
    2. I don't have the faintest idea. Yet!

      Delete