I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Making a List, Checking It Twice

From the Ferret Tarot, the High Priestess:
I really do wish tapping into my intuition and Higher Self was as easy as scrying in a bowl of water. But you see, in my bowl there sits an ego the size of an ocean liner; I have to be patient, quiet and still long enough for it to sail past. Still it's hard to muzzle my ego. It has gotten clever at disguising information - at first glance it appears as hidden wisdom that has come out of hiding. I ran across a post by Steve Pavlina in which he lists four ways to tell the difference between messages from the Higher Self and messages from the ego:
1) False guidance is rooted in fear; true guidance is not concerned with being in control.
2) The ego wants external results; wisdom is happy with internal results.
3) Win-lose is how the ego wants to finish (with it winning of course); Self would like all to benefit.
4) Ego will try to justify itself through logic; the Higher Self is heart-centered.
The next time I think I've uncovered an important bit of guidance and information, I think I'll compare it to this checklist.

From the Nature's Wisdom deck comes the "Scarab Beetle:"
Why in the world would a beetle spend so much time creating a dung ball up to fifty times its weight? The scarab rolls the ball into a burrow, where the female lays her eggs. Newly hatched larvae will use it for food to survive. My ego wants me to create so it will get the praise it thinks it deserves. But my Higher Self would remind me to look at that list above and create from the heart.

2 comments:

  1. I've copied the list in my journal! The first way was already for me a method to know the difference between messages from ego and higher self. To often I've held my anxious thoughts for some kind of forebodings. I wish it was in the nature of my H.S to outsmart my sly and sneaky ego.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that is the spiritual work - to recognize and set aside the ego. I'd be willing to give my HS a taser if it would help... :D

      Delete