I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Each Day a New Beginning

From the Victorian Fairy Tarot, the Three of Autumn (Pentacles); from the Haindl Rune Oracle, "Bar/Berkano:"
It's apple cider time in the land of fairy, and everyone seems to have an assigned role: gathering, slicing, carrying, squeezing or bottling. They are all cooperating to get the job done, but what is amazing is the look of happiness and contentment on their faces. I've had jobs where people did as little as possible and were only there to collect a paycheck. Then I've had other jobs where there was a sense of camaraderie, and even when chaos and confusion reigned, everyone pulled together and used humor to keep plugging along. I'm sure you can guess which type of employment I preferred.
Berkano is often translated as "birch" or "white, glistening." The second set of meanings makes me think of a new blanket of snow before man or beast has crossed it. Everything looks fresh and unspoiled, like a new coat of paint. Added with the tarot card, it reminds me that my attitude can make or break my day. If I wake up thinking "same old, same old," that's likely what my experience will be like. But if I see each day as a new beginning, even if I'm familiar with most of the actors and sets, I am more likely to be enthusiastic, eager to see what the day holds.  

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you it is all a matter of perception. Perhaps I should be more aware to start my day with a positive mindset!
    Berkano is for me besides new beginnings also the creative female force (Empress) about fertility and growth, nurturing and receptive.The shape of Berkano brings to mind the swollen breast and belly of a mother goddess
    Dutch: Birch + Berk
    You and Sharyn got me both interested in runes again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know when I first pulled the rune card, for a minute I saw a pregnant woman's belly (the hill in front) and her knees (taller hills in back) as she was getting ready to push. :)
      I hope you do get your runes back out! :D Maybe pair a rune with a card?

      Delete
    2. That could be a good way to work with them again.
      Suddenly the picture looks quite different. Again a matter of perception. :D

      Delete