I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Finding a Framework

From the Roots of Asia Tarot, the Hierophant; from the Earth Power Oracle, the "Cathedral of Notre Dame:"
Whether a professor or a priest, a lama or a guru, the Hierophant holds and teaches a deep understanding of what he or she considers Truth. In this image, a lotus has completely opened, symbolizing knowledge, awareness and insight - the foundation for beliefs. I imagine for this particular Hierophant, what he sees are the Four Reflections:
The preciousness of human life.
The truth of impermanence (change) and the inevitability of death.
Thoughts, words and actions have consequences (cause and effect).
A repetitive cycle of suffering caused by a constant search for security.
The Cathedral of Notre Dame was one of the first buildings to use the flying buttress (arched exterior supports) to support thin, high walls and prevent stress cracks common in Gothic architecture. This card suggests that no matter what Truth I hold, I need some type of framework to support it. Though I don't hold to one particular philosophy or religion, I still need a structure of beliefs that give me a sturdy foundation to build on. Otherwise, I'll never get beyond the bare bones of understanding.


5 comments:

  1. Have you read the Pillars of the Earth. I've seen the series too and I loved how besides getting to know the characters we learned a lot about the building of a cathedral. (Including flying buttress)
    I see myself as a gatherer, I've studied all kind of religions and kept what resonated with me. My foundation is not fixed but firm enough :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are about the third person who has recommended that series to me - I definitely need to get the books or dvd set. :)
      I too have studied all kinds of religions and philosophies, looking for the "right" one. I finally figured out I could build my own framework from the ideas that I chose to keep.

      Delete
  2. Ha, I tried to read those books, and gave up about 300 pages into the first one because I just didn't like or care about a single person we'd met. Perhaps I'd see it differently now, nearly 15 years later.
    I do love how you combine insights here, another sign of how you create your own framework, which works for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you NP :). Funny what you said about the books - I've got the first one now and have read about 200 pgs. It will be interesting to see if I last through that monster of a book!

      Delete
    2. To be honest, I've read the book after the watching the series so I was familiar with the characters already :)

      Delete