I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, July 14, 2014

Taming the Tongue

From the Victorian Fairy Tarot, the Five of Winter (Swords); from the Haindl Rune Oracle, "Feo/Fehu:"
Three "fairy hooligans" use thorny branches to harass and taunt two hedgehogs. Such cruelty angers me, but if I'm honest with myself I'll admit that I have poked and prodded people when I wanted them to change their opinions. My words can be used to bully another person into surrendering, but often at a great price.
Fehu is often translated as "cattle, livestock, or gold." Being the normal human I am, I draw a circle around my stuff and declare, "This is mine so don't touch it." Which would be fine (if you don't mind being selfish), but what happens when there is a partnership and that stuff is shared? Am I willing to risk my relationship (5 of Swords) by demanding that our resources don't go past the circle I've drawn? Anyone who's had to deal with an addict or alcoholic in the family will understand that there are no easy, clear-cut answers, especially when young children are involved. Taming my tongue (without being silent) may be the wise path to take.

2 comments:

  1. For me this duo speaks about my changing mother role. I used to be always right: my house,my stuff, my rules! but not now any more. We share the building and the responsibilities. I find it difficult but for the sake of peace this is the best way.
    I can understand how boundaries get more flexible than you would want them to be. I've been in the same position. and I am every day so grateful this is in the past now. It was a very difficult episode in our life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard sometimes to know what is the right thing to do (right because I want it to be a certain way, or right because it is what is just). Life is never boring, that's for sure.

      Delete