I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tangible Gifts

From the Victorian Fairy Tarot, the Queen of Autumn (Pentacles); from the Haindl Rune Oracle, "Jera:"

I was in the older, downtown part of our city a few weeks ago and spotted some folks setting up a trailer and tent in the Methodist church parking lot. Curious, I asked what was going on. These people were part of the Backyard Missions, a community outreach program. The trailer had a shower, so the homeless could have a chance to clean up (which had to feel good in our 96F degree heat). They also provided a sack lunch and haircuts to anyone who wanted a trim. Such a group embodies what the Queen of Autumn is all about - practical, resourceful and down-to-earth. While the homeless probably don't mind people who say "I'll pray for you," I imagine what they really appreciate is a full belly and a chance to wash off the sweat and grime.
Jera refers to the cycles of time, particularly the harvesting of crops. After months of hard work, tangible results are reaped. It's easy to understand why someone would make the effort of laboring in the fields when their survival is at stake. But the Queen of Autumn reminds me nurturing acts of kindness produce other fruits as well. It doesn't matter if the recipients refuse to acknowledge the gift; the real reward is the service itself.

4 comments:

  1. Hopefully for the homeless people this was not a one time event but something this group will repeat more frequently over the "year"
    Jera means literaly year or in Dutch: jaar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they do this on a regular basis. "Year" as a literal interpretation makes perfect sense. I'm loving my Dutch lessons! :D

      Delete
  2. I'm liking the Haindl Rune Oracle - that's an excellent image to represent a year and it's harvests :)
    Definitely like that practical approach: even offering a haircut. I can just imagine plenty of salons turning a homeless person away, even if they did want to spend some money on a trim...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the Haindl Tarot at one time, but gave it away. The rune one is a keeper though. :) Yes, I was surprised by all they offered. Definitely requires more effort than donating a can of soup to the food bank.

      Delete