I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, September 17, 2015

A Wide Perspective with an Ounce of Discernment

From the Anna K. Tarot, the Star; from the Meditations Cards, "Money Mind:"
          Instead of standing with one foot on land (as in the RWS version), this lass is hip deep in the sea where she pours out her pitcher. Out come all her opinions and judgments, her limited knowledge and experience. When she scoops up another pitcher full of water, it will contain a much vaster wisdom. When I am looking for hope, healing and guidance, it is easy to get stuck in my definition of what peace and satisfaction will look like. The Star reminds me to broaden my view. 
          Money Mind makes me think of the "prosperity gospel" many of the televangelists are spouting these days. Wikipedia describes this movement as a belief that "financial blessing is the will of God for Christians, and that faith, positive speech, and donations to certain Christian ministries will increase one's material wealth." The poor, sick, downtrodden and elderly are the most eager to lap up these promises. Unfortunately, it seems the preachers are the only ones making money from it. While money can help me live comfortably, it certainly won't solve all my problems. And accumulating more stuff is just a distraction from the inner work that needs to be done. As Marcus Aurelius points out: Remember that very little indeed is necessary to live a happy life. I may need to widen my perspective to find guidance and wisdom I seek, but I still need to be discerning and use some common sense along the way.


4 comments:

  1. I wonder if they have a name for those of us that aren't buying the spiel? Something heathenish I expect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Spawn of Satan Condemned to the Eternal Fires of Hell"
      Maybe that's too wordy... :D

      Delete
  2. I feel Asha's sense of humor with this card.

    Was just listening to an onbeing podcast about the first 'televangelist', a woman named Aimee Semple Mchpherson, a far cry from today's multi-million dollar scenario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see her humor with the bow tie too. :)
      I think if the U.S. would make these "churches" and their leaders pay taxes, there would be a steep decline.

      Delete